I picked the item that I did because it was easier to make a label for a single side of the Icebreakers container than to make a label for a box or other product. I'm also a fan of the candy and had a few ideas already for what I wanted to do. I designed my piece with the colors of the candy itself, and the flavors you can taste. I first made a gradient of red and blue, then added the sparkle design. Finally, I added the cat, strawberry and ice, and the Icebreakers logo and facts. I feel like the colors are the most successful thing about my design, but my favorite part is the cat. If I could change anything about this piece, I would have figured out a better way to layout the strawberries, ice, and cat so it doesn't look so crowded.
We began work by first spacing out an area on the whiteboard we worked on so that we could come back and use the same spot over and over without having to change location on said whiteboard. We were able to finish the Will Smith part before break began, which left us with the Sprite part after. When we returned from break, we didn't have access to a tripod, so we had to just freehand while taking photos using our phones. We also had to slim down on some details in certain frames so that we were able to finish on time. We then arranged the photos from across our phones on the StopMotion Studios app and added in the song for background music. We all spent time drawing and Ben Julian uploaded the music.
12 Principles of Animation:
Squash and Stretch-
Follow Through and Overlapping Action-
For the first cinemagraph, I decided to make a short video of Radek's hand moon walking across my desk because it was the easiest thing to film at the moment. For my second one, I filmed a water bottle falling off the lockers because I had limited time to film, but I decided to reverse it to make it look more advanced. To put it simply, I picked these subjects over others to lessen the time needed for filming and to have more time to edit and spruce up the footage. The most difficult thing to do with this project is the make the flow from the end of the GIF to the beginning. Figuring out how to reverse the footage also took awhile and I had to consult many a internet guide. In the future, I would recommend getting quality footage with a constant light source, as I had to re-shoot the second cinemagraph due to lighting changes in the video.
Potential video ideas:
-jumping (up and down, off something)
running by the camera then looping it.
During this project I had a major problem of what color to use on the 2 cars. It was hard to determine the models of the two, so I had to make a guess on the starting colors. Luckily, I was able to find the model of the red car, which I got the colors from, but for the blue car it's just the color I thought the original car was. If I could change anything about the piece, I would maybe go back to the picture of the student studying and try to make the image clearer. It was hard since the original image was so small.
This little pear house is inhabited by a lone caterpillar, hence the sizing of the building. I picked these parts to give the house a cozy, homey feel. I feel like the round, wooden windows and door really add to this mood. To make it look realistic I had to add the black behind the windows along with all the shadows along the doors and windows. I also added shadows to the surrounding leaves and the pear itself. If I could change anything about this piece I would change the bay window into another wooden window to fit with the other ones.
My theme was video game controllers. I chose this pattern because I knew that a lot of people would recognize the individual elements quickly. Out of the 3 patterns I made, my favorite has to be the Xbox/PlayStation/Wii controller mash up (Red background). I liked the similar colors in the 3 controllers contrast to the background red. The most difficult part of this project was probably figuring out the sizes to make the pattern images to where they would fit onto the shoe, backpack, and shirt templates. If I were to give someone who started this project some advice, I would say to make sure the actual pattern is on a different layer from the base drawing, because it won't work if it's on the background layer. I had to redo 2 of mine because of that.
I was inspired by the unique architecture of the Dorton Arena, so I made sure that this was the staple of the poster. I then put some other typical elements of a fair, like the pumpkins and roller coaster.